From Lightning Literature’s website:
Hewitt’s Lightning Literature and Composition guides use full-length novels, autobiographies, plays, essays, short stories, and poems to teach deep reading and composition skills. Unlike some literature programs that take a scatter-shot approach (where none of the literature seems connected) or that try to dump too much into one book, Lightning Literature guides focus on a few classics in depth, in a systematic manner.
Each high-school guide is a one-semester course for most students. Students who struggle with reading and writing may take up to a year to finish a guide. Additional reading recommendations are given for students who excel in language arts. All students will be exposed to exciting new authors and revisit old favorites with new eyes. Each guide includes biographies of the authors; comprehension questions and answers; lessons on the readings; writing exercises; any short stories, essays, or poems used for lessons; additonal reading suggestions; and discussion questions.
Currently the following high-school courses are available.
* American Literature: Early – Mid 19th Century
* American Literature: Mid – Late 19th Century
* British Literature: Early – Mid 19th Century
* British Literature: Mid – Late 19th Century
* Shakespeare: Tragedies and Sonnets
* Shakespeare: Comedies and Sonnets
* Medieval British Literature
* Christian British Authors of the Late 19th – Early 20th Centuries
* World Literature I: Africa and Asia
* World Literature II: Latin America, Africa, and Asia
Have you ever used Lightning Literature? How did it work for your family? Share your review below.